- Girls are asked to think of a leader they admire and write down three qualities they feel make them a good leader. Discussions explore what makes an effective leader.
- Arrange seats in a circle and place flipchart paper where it will be seen by everyone in the circle.
- Write Good Leader at the top of a sheet of flip chart paper.
- Flipchart Paper
30 Minutes to One hour
- To explore the qualities we see in good leaders and role models
- Instruct girls to think of a leader they admire (e.g. mother, community leader, celebrity, politician) and think of three qualities they believe makes them effective leaders.
- Allow approximately five minutes for this, then ask each young woman to share her thoughts. Record the qualities listed on the flipchart paper.
- Discuss the qualities that came out. Was anything surprising? What can we do to be effective leaders?
- Following the discussion, ask each young woman to reflect on all the qualities that the group has identified:
- a) Positive qualities she believes that she already has
- b) Positive qualities she would like to develop
- c) Negative qualities she would like to manage or eliminate