- Before beginning, understand what the girls in your group will do to make money. Is it acceptable for them to work? Will they be expected to earn money? Which jobs are acceptable for women and girls and which jobs are not?
- Based on these ideas, you will need to create a set of 'job cards' before the session. Some ideas to put on job cards are included on Handout 34.
- Pre-Prepared Job Cards
- To identify various options for making money.
- To help girls select work options that are appealing.
- Begin by asking the girls how they get money in their lives:
- From parents (allowance)
- From gifts
- From working
- Hand each girl a job card. If you do not have enough, give one card for every two or three girls.
- Ask each girl or group to spend five minutes thinking about that job. They should consider the following questions:
- What do I know about this job?
- What do I think about the people who do this job?
- Would I like to do this job? Why or why not?
- What skills does a person need to do this job?
- Ask each girl or group to present the job they were given and the answers to their questions.
- Finish off by asking discussion questions. Share Handout 35 with girls who want more information.
- Did you learn about any new jobs you have never heard of?
- Are there certain jobs that you think boys should do or girls should do? Why?
- Which jobs did you like the best? Why?
- Which jobs would you not want to do? Why not?
- What would be your dream job? What do you need to do to achieve that?